Schlumberger Site Reliability Engineer in Houston, Texas
Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Houston - United States
Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for the reliability and uptime appropriate to users’ needs of DELFI cloud solutions and services. Site Reliability Engineering is a discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. Site Reliability Engineers are also responsible of engaging in and improving the whole lifecycle of services from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
He/She Reports to: Global Site Reliability Manager.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews
- Maintain and improve services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Gauges the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and infrastructure; implements strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems within a geoscience workflow
- Collaborates with network and security staff to ensure smooth, secure and reliable operation of application software and systems
- Develops, implements and documents best practice policies and procedures for new projects or initiatives
- Effectively uses the service management systems, ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are made available to wider technical community
- Engaged in incident response and blameless postmortems
- Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art computer technology, equipment, and systems; participates in professional development activities as appropriate
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT related discipline
- Strong computer literacy with aptitude and readiness for multidiscipline training
- 10+ years seniority
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
- Fosters and maintains excellent internal, client and third-party relationships
- Possesses a high degree of initiative
- Adaptable and willing to learn new technologies; keeps abreast of key developments in relevant technologies.
- Able to work under pressure
- Excellent oral, written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Practices effective listening techniques
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Effectively analyzes and solves problems with attention to the root cause
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.